Reply To: Is it beneficial for the child to know they have ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Is it beneficial for the child to know they have ADHD? Reply To: Is it beneficial for the child to know they have ADHD?

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Lovingmom1119 in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I too helped shield my daughter from the cruel judgemental world we live in. Up until last year my 9 year old was still a little confused.

She has never expressed to me that she feels as if she is “different” but I think it is mostly because she feels very strongly about “it’s no ones business”

She still refers to her medicine (30 MG of Metadate CD) as her “Vitamins” I strongly think the trick of it all is just not making it out to be this taboo situation. She’s been on medications since she was 6 so it has become somewhat of a regular thing.

I also think with age comes understanding.

She understands that her brain works a lot faster than others and she can think of 3,4,5 things at the same time and thinks of it as pretty cool and I have strongly emphasised that is her “Super power” instead of her handicap.