Reply To: Is it beneficial for the child to know they have ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Is it beneficial for the child to know they have ADHD? Reply To: Is it beneficial for the child to know they have ADHD?

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Benine in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

We told our son last year when he was 7. It seemed wise because he was going to hear it from others first if we didn’t.

It didn’t really make an impression. I let him read a book “Cory Stories”, and he agreed that the kid had some of the same experiences as him, and some different. Basically, he wasn’t interested. Now he’s 8. As of this year’s interim report card, the subject came up again. I told him not to worry about mediocre/poor grades because we know he’s super smart. ADHD makes it hard to get all the work done, even when you know the answers. I tried to explain how you can know all the curriculum material but still get medium grades. He was sad that he got the lowest grade possible in some of the ‘readiness to learn’ categories like organization, etc. This is the first year he’s noticed.

I am not really sure that telling him it’s because he is ADHD makes it any easier. Telling him we don’t think mediocre marks are a big deal is probably reassuring. I think.