Reply To: Is it beneficial for the child to know they have ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Is it beneficial for the child to know they have ADHD? Reply To: Is it beneficial for the child to know they have ADHD?

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Nemo in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I feel that our kids should learn about their ADHD in order to be able to self advocate. The reality is, they are different. The older they get, the more their peers and they themselves will notice. Instead, the focus can be on being different is great. How boring would our world be if we were all the same? I had found a great list on this website many years ago that listed the gifts of having ADHD. My son really identified with this and was able to keep that in mind with being different. We talked about how to use the skills that he’s good at because of his ADHD and the need to work on others that don’t come so easily to him, but might to others. It’s important for our kids especially through adolescence when their worlds begin to turn upside down.