Reply To: Frustrated, sad, depressed

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents The Emotions of ADHD Frustrated, sad, depressed Reply To: Frustrated, sad, depressed

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user MrsPersky in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I just want to throw something in…have you checked for Asperger’s? It can be comorbid with ADHD, or the psychologist may sometimes misdiagnose Asperger’s as severe ADHD. “Poor metabolizers” of stimulants are often Aspie.

The first sign of Asperger’s in my son was being much too rough with his classmates. One solution would be a “sensory diet” to make sure he gets enough of the deep inputs he’s looking for with rough play. And that’s good, because it’s something you can start today. Take him on the swings and the merry go round, let him play in the sand, and make sure he has plenty of exercise time. A dozen donuts says it will make a world of difference, whether he’s Aspie or not.

As for the executive function problem (shutting down when homework is placed in front of him), my son and I have both been struggling with that for years. It can help to give him something to fidget with while he works or let him stand instead of sitting, but if I really had a good solution to that I would be a very rich woman. It’s hard, but you do get through it.

Best of luck to you and your boy.