Reply To: Upcoming Teacher Meeting About School Struggles

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Working with Teachers Upcoming Teacher Meeting About School Struggles Reply To: Upcoming Teacher Meeting About School Struggles

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Pump2Duncan in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Kindergarten was tough for my kiddo too. SOOOO many distractions. And their day would pop from a very active time to a very physically inactive time VERY quickly. My kiddo had a hard time with that.

I agree with the other comments. You get one-on-one with your child; the school can’t do that. However, you can take pieces of what works and use that. Does she do better in a quiet setting? Maybe she can sit away from other students during test or work times. Does she need constant reminders? Maybe she can sit near the teacher’s desk so its easier for the teacher to redirect.

If the daily email is too much for the teacher, maybe some sort of behavior chart can come home daily? This daily communication really helped me reinforce good behaviors at home and address how we could work on the negative ones.

I’d ask if your daughter is disrupting the class or preventing other students from learning. If the teacher says yes, perhaps suggest a Paraprofessional. The school will probably (at least they did in my case) tell you that funding is not there for a para. I told them it didn’t matter; as a matter of the IDEA, if my son was disrupting the classroom and learning of others, a para was appropriate. I ended up losing that battle; HOWEVER, they became much more accommodating for other things (like the daily report, etc.)

If all else fails, you might see if there is another teacher who is more experienced with ADHD/LD children. We’ve switched teachers before because one was just more suited to my child than the other. No hard feelings on either side, the school is actually the one that suggested that.

We ended up starting medication in third grade. We made progress with the accommodations, but my son excelled with the addition of medication.