Reply To: Upcoming Teacher Meeting About School Struggles

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Working with Teachers Upcoming Teacher Meeting About School Struggles Reply To: Upcoming Teacher Meeting About School Struggles

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user TTGloverWoods in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

I am a mother to two sons — who are 24 and 21 years old with ADHD — who were able to function without medication. However, they became obese. I currently have a six-year-old daughter who has ADHD. She’s currently in an ICT class setting and needs a smaller class setting. We are in the process of touring non-public schools through CBST for the next school year.

I too was against the medication at first, giving her fish oil and vitamin D, and avoiding soy and other products. Those healthy methods did not help with the distraction within her surroundings and learning environment. However, I put my thinking on the back burner — along with all the negative feedback from family or friends. I put my child’s feeling — as she couldn’t adapt and learn — first. There are non-stimulant medications you can start with — speak with a Developmental Psychiatrist or Pediatric Psychiatrist to have them further help you.

Also keep in mind: you are the key element of the special committee team. As boomer stated, you are a family and all want what’s best for your daughter. When you start looking at them as a part of your support team, everything will get better.

Since being on medication, my daughter is doing much better and receives compliments from each of her service providers and teachers.