Reply To: Upcoming Teacher Meeting About School Struggles

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Working with Teachers Upcoming Teacher Meeting About School Struggles Reply To: Upcoming Teacher Meeting About School Struggles

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user boomer in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Your daughter’s issues sound very similar to my daughter, now age 13. She was able to focus much better at home because of the quiet environment at home. School has so many distractions, regardless of whether the school provides accommodations i.e. special seating, taking quizzes outside the room, etc. My husband and I have to spend hours at home reinforcing classwork, in addition to the regular homework load. She also has had years of after school tutoring. Each year is better as she is learning to self-regulate and come up with study methods that work for her. We tried everything in lieu of medicines, but reading was so difficult for her we decided to try meds — they have made a huge, positive, difference in her life.

Your daughter has a medical condition, her condition may need meds, as would other conditions — i.e. heart condition, etc. It sounds like you have a good relationship with your daughter and she is open to your input. Try to keep everything positive and keep those lines of communication open, it is critical! Try to stay positive with the school too, approach it as a partnership between parents and educators. After years of emails, meetings, etc., last year we decided to take a step back from communications with the school and see how everything played out. The end result, in grades, has been the same, and it has been so much less stress on the family. We know that our daughter is learning, regardless of whether her grades reflect her knowledge.