Reply To: Should I Homeschool My Child?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums School & Learning Should I Homeschool My Child? Reply To: Should I Homeschool My Child?

Devon Frye
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user Lilies&Orchids; in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

We have done public school, private school, and homeschooling. They all have their pros and cons. They are all great choices, with limitations.

Udderlycrazy gives good advice. Expect that you will always be advocating for your child throughout their school years. Some years will be better than others, depending on the teacher. Understand that the teachers have a very difficult job managing all sorts of issues in their classrooms.

I recently had a conversation with a man whose ADHD son, on medication, just graduated from high school. His son finished with outstanding grades and six AP classes. But he and his wife had to be at the school on a monthly basis to advocate for him. Our ADHD kids do not fit the mold.

I homeschooled my ADHD child through middle school. It was a difficult first year learning how to work with each other and not against. (Two headstrong gals!) I was amazed by how much we loved it. We did not expect that. It was a great honor for me to take on the responsibility and we enjoyed the freedoms and ability to seek out personal interests and go deep into them. Her national test scores went from mediocre to almost 100%. She made great friends. Our relationship went from strained to close and loving. But not without lots of work on my part.

My dd has transitioned into public high school beautifully. She got her first straight As last semester! I believe those years homeschooling were a very special, sometimes hair-pulling time, that prepared her well.

So the overall story here is that you have good options in front of you. All will require work and educating yourself and others. Homeschooling will require far more, but for me it was a labor of love. And do not fear whichever route you take. Neither is forever. Neither will “ruin” your child as long as you are involved.