Reply To: What about ADHD and menopause?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls What about ADHD and menopause? Reply To: What about ADHD and menopause?

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user rbr in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

This question really hits home for me. I’m 52 now and just discovering that I have ADHD. Menopause, for me was from age 41 – 46 and was so bad that I could have been one of those ladies on Oprah telling horror stories.

First thing I have to tell you is that the Prempro returned me back to my normal self for the one year that I was taking it. Ever see the movie “Awakenings?” That was me on Prempro.

Exercise was my most effective treatment, however I had/have a seriously difficult time keeping up with any routine and I think that could be the ADHD.

Good nutrition is no longer an option. My body and brain react in the extreme to poor nutrition since menopause.

I didn’t know about my ADHD until now. I can imagine that the awareness would have helped me through menopause – and especially to get on the right track as I was coming out of it.

I so new to understanding the ADHD, but I hope those tips on menopause (and my own mistakes) will help some.

Mostly I just wanted to say “hang in there.” What you’re going through is so real, and yet many people either won’t believe it or won’t want you to talk about it.

Know that at the other end lies a freedom that you’ve never before experienced, making it worth the journey.