Reply To: My child doesn't stick with the group

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Friendships & Activities My child doesn't stick with the group Reply To: My child doesn't stick with the group

Allison Russo
Keymaster

This reply was originally posted by user adhdmomma in ADDitude’s now-retired community.

Losing track of the group in a crowd couple be part of ADHD. If she’s overwhelmed by large groups, it could be sensory issues, lagging social skills, anxiety, or other things. Or, it still could be part of her ADHD or simply a personal preference.

For example, I have pretty significant social anxiety. I worry about what every single person around me is thinking of me at all times. I don’t have as many people to worry about in smaller groups, so it’s more comfortable for me to manage. That’s just one possible explanation of so many.

At her age, and because she’s engaging with other kids, I wouldn’t be alarmed. Of course, you can always discuss this with her doctor.

Penny
ADDconnect Moderator, Author on Parenting ADHD, Mom to teen boy with ADHD, LDs, and autism