Reply To: After being perscribed adderall for 10 years. Today my doctor drug tested me.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame After being perscribed adderall for 10 years. Today my doctor drug tested me. Reply To: After being perscribed adderall for 10 years. Today my doctor drug tested me.

Vendetta5.11
Participant

For a while I thought I was on the high-functioning end of the ASD spectrum. After some conversations with my girlfriend, she thinks I’m ADHD. All things considered, I think she’s right. And it explains a lot.

I went to my doctor today to inquire about an intervention for ADHD. He explained the process of getting tested with a psychologist. That’s all good and fine. But he then informed me that he would require me to submit to regular drug testing if he prescribed me a stimulant intervention, and that means that I wouldn’t be able to use cannabis. I don’t use cannabis. I have before. I probably would if it were legal for me (It is completely legal in my state, but I am federally regulated in my careers so I cant, as you will see below). But it irked me any way. He continued to say that it was his license on the line.

I’ve been in the military for 17-years. I am currently serving in the National Guard. On the civilian side I am a truck driver. I am federally regulated in both of my careers. I already submit to very regular drug testing. Sometimes as frequently as monthly between the military and the DOT.

I’m not in the slightest worried about failing a drug test or coming up positive for anything I am not prescribed. That’s not the issue. The issue I am having is that I feel like I brought a legitimate concern to my doctor, and was accused of med seeking without actually being told I was med seeking. I have zero history of substance abuse, and now I’m being told that if I want the intervention for my most probable issue I have to have yet another institution drug testing me, and more than likely at my expense.

So really what I want to know is, is this the requirement or is it his requirement? If it is the requirement is it federally mandated or state mandated (Michigan).

Really very irritated right now.