Reply To: Stimulant meds just don’t work for some people, right?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Stimulant meds just don’t work for some people, right? Reply To: Stimulant meds just don’t work for some people, right?

eyeonthesky
Participant

By the way, the “this is what neurotypicals feel like” response to Strattera doesn’t extend to order and getting things done. I think those are complex issues that no brain chemistry change can magically fix. My house is still a mess and my to-do list is still long after over a month. The medication effect is mostly with regards to emotion regulation and voluntary shifts or maintenance of attention. But just having those two things easier to do makes a big difference in daily life with a 2 1/2 year old and increasing work responsibilities. And again, other things like sleep, exercise, hormones, food, and cognitive and behavioral stuff probably need to be working well too in order to get maximum medication effects even in these areas.

Also, I quit Concerta and doubted my ADHD at age 24 because I did not sense it was doing much for me. Short-acting Ritalin definitely helped me think twice before speaking and voluntarily shift or maintain attention, but if I quit it I was grumpy and groggy, if I went back on it I was nervous and had palpitations (nervousness/full stomach is my only Strattera side effect), and it didn’t help that much to prevent expressing emotional overreactions. So I respond better to Strattera than stimulants, even though I read the opposite is more likely among us lucky ones.