Reply To: Stimulant meds just don’t work for some people, right?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Stimulant meds just don’t work for some people, right? Reply To: Stimulant meds just don’t work for some people, right?

eyeonthesky
Participant

Hi.

My guess is that it’s option B, especially if you had a prior diagnosis.

I once disregarded my teenage ADHD diagnosis as a fad from the 90s and I was just a neurotypical who sucked but at least knew it. Then last year came along and I discovered this website trying to understand my daughter’s language delay in terms of possible learning disabilities. (She’s not quite 2 1/2, so too young to be diagnosed, but I didn’t think it was just bilingualism because her listening fell behind too.) I worked with my therapist – ADHD and responds very well to stimulants but hates the side effects – to develop behavioral techniques in key areas, like having places for easily lost things, planning/scheduling rituals, lots of alarms, and stress toys for dysregulated emotions. After that was not enough and too hard to keep up, I went on Strattera and had that “this is what neurotypicals feel like” experience already with the starter dose.

I don’t think that fast and amazing response to Strattera would have happened if I didn’t have behavioral techniques, therapy, daily exercise, or good sleep. So try adding these to the Strattera if you haven’t yet.

Also look into other aspects of the chemical balance: hormones and food. Get your thyroid checked – thyroid issues can worsen ADHD symptoms or mimic them. If you get bad PMS/worse symptoms certain times of the month, try a good hormonal birth control to even you out. And research in kids suggests that omega-3s might help improve symptoms a bit, and artificial colors in food might worsen them a bit. None of these things seem to affect me personally, but to each their own body chemistry.

Best of luck!