Reply To: New psychiatrist acting fishy

lynneiha
Participant

Hi wandering away.
She sounds fishy to me-certainly enough that I wouldn’t want to keep her as my psychiatrist.
I’m really curious about the “needing to take a drug test” thing. I hope some other readers will respond regarding that.
I never had that happen in three times of requesting ADHD meds from a psych.
But the first time I was diagnosed by a doctor, I was 50-and amazingly, she was a psychiatrist who had, 50 years before, been
the general practitioner who “birthed” me! So, she kind of felt like she really knew me.
Later, my ADHD was “on the charts” so to speak. So even though I had been on and off ADHD meds, I guess the psychiatrists I worked with believed I definitely had ADHD and had an idea of the med that worked for me, (Vyvanse).

I have gone through dealing with a few who don’t seem to believe I should get stimulants. Once was because I was having
a problem with alcohol. Even though I went through detox, and had been sober for 6 months, one doctor said, “Let’s wait and see if you’re still sober three months from now.”
You don’t want to know the things I have called her in my head, but maybe you can guess.

And there was this one, at the county mental health clinic, who tried to give me the same crap your psychiatrist gave you,
saying I shouldn’t need ADHD drugs if I wasn’t working or attending school. Even though, like you, I told the doctor my ADHD was what was keeping me from having a job. I lasted two Zoom sessions with her. Screw that attitude.

ADHD affects EVERYTHING in your life-at least, it does for a lot of us. I have a long-suffering boyfriend of eleven years
who is REALLY glad I finally found a psychiatrist who listens, understands my ADHD symptoms, and prescribes me what I need.
He is stuck at home with me, and now he HAS to work at home, thanks to Covid. I can be nearly unbearable to be with if
NOT on Vyvanse.
I found a great psychiatrist after much searching. She was advertised online on Psychology Today. I have since been told by others that this is a good place to find a psych. I would suggest you keep looking and never forget how much you know ADHD affects you. Others can’t live in your skin. They simply can’t know. Don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself. Good luck!