Reply To: Waking up early and easily

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Waking up early and easily Reply To: Waking up early and easily

eyeonthesky
Participant

Yeah, it’s by no means universal to have any specific symptom. I, for one, do not have trouble with punctuality (I am more time blind to the past than the future), but I do lose and forget stuff, lose my cool a lot over little things, and make many careless mistakes and clumsy shortcuts. And I sleep neither lightly nor heavily most of the time, although I was a poor sleeper in early childhood, and once I do wake up I often have trouble going back to sleep between my stomach and my brain if I’m awake for over 5 minutes or so. (I usually get hungry if up too long.) Oh, and a mosquito buzzing in my ear at night will leave me in war mode until I kill it.

It sounds like you are a hyperactive adult, retaining more of that side of symptoms than most.

It’s actually my OCD-without-the-C husband who’s the heaviest sleeper I know, and my neurotypical older sister is the lightest. So you never know. You only need 5 or 6 DSM symptoms in just one of 2 lists of 9 to be diagnosed, and sleeping too much isn’t one of them, while a restless mind is a variant of squirmy hyperactivity which is. I even wonder if trouble getting up is related to the depression that many but not all ADHD adults develop.