Reply To: Is there as much of a stigma against non-stimulant medicine?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Is there as much of a stigma against non-stimulant medicine? Reply To: Is there as much of a stigma against non-stimulant medicine?

onaverylongpath
Participant

I’m actually so well stable on my bipolar regiment that everyone agrees shouldn’t be changed my former psychiatrist was comfortable just telling my primary care doctor to just keep prescribing the meds and ordering a lithium test once a year. I’m extremely lucky that by now bipolar is a non-issue in my life.

I’m hesitant about seeing him because I’m worried he’s latched on to “bipolar only, no commodities”, I saw him for 4 years fidgeting in his chair saying “bipolar is good but I’m just still stupid and can’t make progress on any of my life goals” and he was quicker to follow me on a crazy OCD diagnosis than notice this. Also, it is office policy to only talk about ADHD after neurological testing and my recent test said “it must be some untreated facet of your well treated bipolar that is causing this.”

See https://www.additudemag.com/forums/topic/how-to-get-mental-health-professionals-to-listen-past-bipolar/