Reply To: How to get mental health professionals to listen past “Bipolar”

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond How to get mental health professionals to listen past “Bipolar” Reply To: How to get mental health professionals to listen past “Bipolar”

Beheadedio
Participant

I have a bipolar diagnosis as well and was treated from 2009-2017 mostly just for those symptoms.
I did take Vyvanse for a few years during psychiatrists adding or taking away BPD meds.
I finally found a doctor in 2017 who was stern about me taking a written test regarding what I was feeling, symptoms, etc. One random visit and finally told me what he has seen in the field of medicine.
He says that most doctors will hold onto a diagnosis over adult ADD because your symptoms are taken control of with the correct prescribed ADD meds.
As you know with BPD- those symptoms take years and various medicines to gain control over anything. Once you become stable- your doc wants to add another pill or have you try a sample.
I would honestly find another doctor. I have moved states a couple times and have always spent time searching for the correct practitioner to handle my medications that have gotten me stable. Try calling offices and asking if they offer any treatment for ADD/ADHD or if they offer diagnostic testing.
You’d be surprised that there are actual doctors who understand that BPD and ADD/ADHD ccan and do get diagnosed or misdiagnosed quite frequently.