Reply To: WHAT LED TO DIAGNOSIS?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums FAQ WHAT LED TO DIAGNOSIS? Reply To: WHAT LED TO DIAGNOSIS?

ADHD_Maybe
Participant

Dr. Eric, I went to your University #1 (Course 14, Economics). You are obviously high achieving. Was it the meds that helped you or did you find other coping mechanisms?

I wonder whether I have ADHD, the inattentive type. I remember when I was in college, I really really struggled to pay attention during lecture. I always attributed it to my insomnia I had back then. Now I am thinking the insomnia might have another symptom as I had a lot of things racing through my mind. Today, I still exhibit lots of the inattentive symptoms…having trouble focusing, easily distracted, often misplacing things, procrastinate on task that requires concentration, etc. A therapist indicated that I didn’t seem present and suggested I should get checked for ADHD. I went to a psychiatrist, but he told that I was suffering from anxiety (going through divorce at the time). Moreover, he doesn’t recommend any meds for high achieving individuals.

Divorce is now over and I still have inattentive symptoms just as I long have. I am wondering whether to get a second opinion. Do you think it’s worthwhile to try meds if I am already high achieving. I feel like I can achieve so much more if I didn’t have to spend so much energy trying to focus and stay on task.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.