Reply To: Diagnosis Says I Don’t Have ADHD… Now what?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Diagnosis Says I Don’t Have ADHD… Now what? Reply To: Diagnosis Says I Don’t Have ADHD… Now what?

jrodmel2007
Participant

I can’t imagine what you’re going through right now.

Summary of my situation: I’m in my early 40s and just received my diagnosis of ADHD…ASD. There were past red flags: subtle impulsiveness (sometimes, not thinking things through; occasional temper), inattention (I would fall asleep during events that didn’t engage me, having to sometimes slow down work to concentrate), problems with organization; among other things. I started my process in October and just received my news on Inauguration Day.

I can understand that concern about cost. Even with insurance, the whole assessment process wasn’t cheap.

For what it’s worth, I have a few questions:
Does the neuropsychologist that you went to have experience with diagnosing ADHD?
You didn’t specify your gender. The only reason that I bring this up is that I understand that ADHD presents differently in women than in men. Also, I understand that a lot of the framework to diagnose is with men in mind.

I do wish you success in your journey of getting a formal diagnosis. Someone earlier said that you could still glean some benefit from these forums.

Pulling for you. 🙂