Reply To: WHAT LED TO DIAGNOSIS?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums FAQ WHAT LED TO DIAGNOSIS? Reply To: WHAT LED TO DIAGNOSIS?

pax
Participant

Just turned 55. Two days later, today, finally an ADHD diagnosis, also of the inattentive type. I too feel vindicated and relieved. I wasn’t looking for an ADHD diagnosis. My psychiatrist went there himself. I was surprised, but quickly learned that like most people, I had ADHD dead wrong.

I cannot tell you how excited I am to see how things change now. I am jumping out of my skin in excitement. It’s a bit of a weird feeling actually.

I am also disappointed for my past self. Life would have been so hugely different with an earlier diagnosis. There has been so much pain and confusion. I’m sure you understand what I mean.

I am also pleased that my daughters now have new information for themselves. Pleased also that this is so much earlier in their lives than mine.

Mostly though, I feel relief. I have not been able to think about anything else all day. I just cannot let go of the reality of the assessment. For the psychiatrist it seemed like a small thing. For me, oh my god, it means so much!!!!