Reply To: How soon did it take for meds to come up post-diagnosis?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD How soon did it take for meds to come up post-diagnosis? Reply To: How soon did it take for meds to come up post-diagnosis?

Paul R
Participant

Hi, You are probably self-medicating already with so much coffee and tea. I tried my first medication dose this Friday and it did help me focus and pay attention. I’m not sure if I’ll keep it up because of side effects.

As for your question: My first diagnosis, which happened over 24 years ago, I was also offended. The practitioner was assuming I “feel” bad. I don’t “feel” bad mostly. But I do “feel” bad when supervisors and other people I work with give me hell for attention-related mistakes and shortcomings that put my job and my work relationships at risk.

To your question, it is early for your provider to gloss over alternatives. Medications have their drawbacks too. You may be happy enough as is. You may become happier with medications though. It was really neat Friday to be able to stay so focused. There are non-medication ways to live with ADHD. Good luck!