Reply To: ADD husband has no patience with our kids with ADHD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents ADD husband has no patience with our kids with ADHD Reply To: ADD husband has no patience with our kids with ADHD

Pro crastina
Participant

For some reason I am not able to post the whole thing in a one reply, so PART 1:

I’ve had similar issues as your husband. ADHD (ADD) is well known to make you impulsive, unable to control burst of emotions and unfortunately many times you act before you think the consequences of your actions far enough. I always felt such a douchebag and extreme remorse after those unneeded temper tantrums and I’m 100% sure your husband feels that way too.

Because I was not able to control my flaws, I slid down on a spiral of ever-lowering self-esteem and it made me really sensitive to even the most constructive criticism.

What eventually led me to the right path was reading and understanding more about ADHD and why I might act certain way in some situations. I slowly began to understand it was not because I was a bad person – it was because my brain structure is different. My brain is in a constant lack of certain chemicals that are needed for a number of things, e.g. finishing tasks and controlling impulsivity.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Pro crastina.