Reply To: RSD – my profound discovery

Lauretta
Participant

I’m 63 but was only diagnosed about 2 years ago. RSD explains so much for me!

About 30 years ago, I was talking with a friend outside a post office and asked her if she wanted to get together sometime that week. She replied, “this week won’t work since it’s pretty full”. I don’t know how I looked from the outside but I was devastated. I must have held it together to say our goodbyes and she went on her way. As soon as she was out of sight, I went weak and basically fell against the outside of the building. I felt completely humiliated and spent a lot of years feeling shame about over-reacting then and similarly at other times in my life.

No matter how often my head told me that my friend’s response was perfectly reasonable, I still feel the emotional echoes of what felt like massive rejection. Having the ADHD diagnosis and learning about RSD has helped me understand myself enough to cut myself some slack.

I’m hoping to get into an ADHD 8-week program that begins next month and work through some of the issues that have plagued me for so long. I spent years telling counsellors that I always felt like I was barely keeping my head above water – well, no wonder since I’ve been trying to “fix myself” without all the information I needed.

Thanks…