Reply To: Hope for relationship with well managed ADHD?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Hope for relationship with well managed ADHD? Reply To: Hope for relationship with well managed ADHD?

hayes
Participant

(Sorry! This was meant to be my whole post – I’m breaking it into 3 parts to see if it will post)

xu11

I’m the ADD partner here, diagnosed 19 yrs ago at age 35. We’ll be married 28 yrs in 2021, so I guess that’s something no? I’d like to say that everything has been easy since my diagnosis, but that would be dishonest. For a long time, I thought that diagnosis and meds would fix this ADD thing’; what I didn’t realize was that there were other underlying things that magnified the executive functioning issues. For me, that was anxiety and paralyzing shame (with possible rejection sensitivity) – what I call the ‘mean cousins’ of ADD. This caused me to completely shut down relationally, even with my amazing wife (who is an experienced LicSW). I’ve pushed us to the brink on several occasions; it wasn’t until I was serious about clinical treatment that I was able to move forward (I’ve has an outstanding therapist for nearly 6 years now).