Reply To: Overwhelmed & Struggling.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame Overwhelmed & Struggling. Reply To: Overwhelmed & Struggling.

princesadelllano40
Participant

Well, I do feel like that many times, at least 2-3 times a week. I diagnosed myself around 15 years ago, and even though I read a lot about it, I only got help around 5 years ago, and started medication around 2 years ago. So, my advice is be kind to yourself. I do get overwhelmed, but I don’t beat myself up about it anymore. I just try again whenever I get to have the chance to do it. It could be in the middle of the day, at the end of the day, or next day, or in 2 days, but once I accept that I am at a point that I need to reset, I calmly make a plan and I try again. I always let go. It is the only way you can move forward. The quicker you accept that this will keep happening and it is ok, the quicker you recover. You may learn in the future how to manage better, but when you feel like that, just let it go. Sometimes, I watch a movie to disconnect from the emotion or do something that makes me feel good and then I reset.