Reply To: Still have depression; ADHD somewhat controlled

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Still have depression; ADHD somewhat controlled Reply To: Still have depression; ADHD somewhat controlled

lynneiha
Participant

Hi. Four years later…but I figure our problems always keep coming ’round, no matter what year it is.

I also thought that “The Depression Cure” was a great book. It’s been a couple of years since I read it, and I’m sure it’s around here somewhere.
I feel like Ilardi’s “plan of life”, (my description of the book’s advice), would probably significantly lessen depression in most people who really attempted to follow all the advice.
In some way, many of the book’s ideas are the same we’ve all no doubt heard: daily exercise, good nutrition, good sleep, connecting with others in positive ways, and an emphasis on the importance of being outside, and Vitamin D, and I think, Fish oil, or Vitamin E, in our diets. I may have forgotten one or two other suggestions he had, for lessening depression.
One way in which Ilardi differs from any run-of-the-mill primer on kicking depression is a wonderful commentary on “rumination”. That’s the endless negative thought loops that our brains tend to get stuck in.
Ilardi cautions that if we can’t learn to train our brain away from ruminating, we may be able to adopt all other good habits…and still be depressed. It is THAT important that we train our brain away from obsessive negativity, even though it can be very difficult to do. I also thought the book was well written, and easy to read.
Ilardi is, or was, a professor at KU, in Lawrence, KS, which is just down the road from me, and is the home of both my former and current psychiatrists. I should now say, “Go, Jayhawks!” because Lawrence is a lovely and well-loved little college town.
But…seeing as I got most of my Bachelor’s AND my Master’s degrees at Kansas State University in bucolic Manhattan, Kansas, I have to instead say, “Go Wildcats!”