Reply To: Newly diagnosed 13 year old daughter

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Teens & Young Adults Newly diagnosed 13 year old daughter Reply To: Newly diagnosed 13 year old daughter

Katy Perkins
Blocked

Now that you have a diagnosis, a lot of dots should start connecting themselves. If they haven’t yet, they will. Your daughter will have to learn how to make friends and get along with social interactions. What you can do is listen and give her real positive reinforcement. Don’t just praise her if you think she’s not trying her best, but when she is trying, say things like, I know this is hard for you, and I’m proud that you’re giving it your best shot.
When she does have a Victory celebrated, you don’t have to go overboard but do something nice like bake her some cookies or anything she likes, and you’re probably already doing all of this.
If there’s a support group, try and get her involved. Read and learn as much as you can. Talk to other parents who have the same problems. The best thing my parents ever did for me was to give me a roof over my head, loved me with all their heart, taught me discipline, and helped me out when I did something boneheaded. The same thing that all parents do or should do. I wasn’t diagnosed until I was an adult. We wish her well. Tell her it gets better!