Reply To: Boyfriend with ADHD treated me amazing and suddenly changed

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Boyfriend with ADHD treated me amazing and suddenly changed Reply To: Boyfriend with ADHD treated me amazing and suddenly changed

leftie22
Participant

It sounds like you had a pretty big obstacle in your relationship (you want kids, he doesn’t), so probably for the best that you move on. It sounds like he was being honest that he might not want more kids, and saw that you clearly do (which is fine!) and he realized that it would be an issue. It’s childish of him not to call, but really there’s not much he could say. You shouldn’t have to compromise about what you want, and he shouldn’t feel pressured to say that he “might” want kids or might change his mind. (And then what if he didn’t and you were married?)

I think it’s good you got out before things went on too long. Wanting/not wanting kids is too big a topic to not agree on. He’s likely avoiding the inevitable conversation about kids because it would be an argument. The fact that he introduced you to his son before a strong commitment would make me question his judgement, too. I hope you can give yourself closure and move on. Neither one of you needs to explain or justify your different views for the future, you just need to accept that they aren’t compatible and move on.