Reply To: Does anyone else have issues setting goals? What’s worked?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Does anyone else have issues setting goals? What’s worked? Reply To: Does anyone else have issues setting goals? What’s worked?

befree
Participant

Hi
I get that all the time. There are so many things I am interested in. What works for me is putting the other things on a list for later. I choose one thing that I want to concentrate on for a few weeks or however long the first
course takes. Then whenever an urge to get distracted by some other really great thing, I tell myself that I just need to postpone that for a little while and put it on a list of all the things I want to do.
After the course, maybe it’s not so important anymore. I also reward myself for finishing the course and doing each of the practicing. Like at the end of a guitar course, I would organize a “concert” with someone who understands me and appreciates my efforts (and will not criticize how I play).
If I keep my goals small, like just until the end of one course, it’s easier to fulfill and I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything much.
This doesn’t mean that it will work for you. But I hope you can find something!