Reply To: WHAT LED TO DIAGNOSIS?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums FAQ WHAT LED TO DIAGNOSIS? Reply To: WHAT LED TO DIAGNOSIS?

lynneiha
Participant

As I have read more than one other person state, I figured out I had ADHD by reading…”Driven to Distraction”, also Sari Solden’s book, “Women WITH ADD”. I’ve read a lot of ADHD books, but one book that’s not entirely focused on ADHD gave me some of my best information. It is John Ratey and Catherine Johnson’s book, “Shadow Syndromes: The Mild Forms of Major Mental Disorders That Sabotage Us”.

Wow. Anyone with any interest in ADHD, Autism, Anxiety, Depression, OCD, Addiction, Hypomania or Intermittent Rage Disorder should read this book. It is SO good. I had to stop myself from highlighting sentences in nearly every paragraph.
Despite the book being 22 years old, John Ratey describes the “noisy” brains of us who have ADHD with extreme understanding and compassion. And to me, he is “spot on” as to how it feels to have ADHD.
What brought me to reading these books??
Three years of failing to be a good middle school counselor because my brain doesn’t understand the meaning of “organize”, and then one particular child with ADHD who, I realized, thought and spoke just like me.