Reply To: 16 year old daughter being assessed for adhd and using emotional blackmail

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline 16 year old daughter being assessed for adhd and using emotional blackmail Reply To: 16 year old daughter being assessed for adhd and using emotional blackmail

Kerplunk
Participant

Hi Julieg, I’m sorry to hear about your situation it must be very stressful for you. I and my son have ADHD. Someone with ADHD is 2.8 times more likely to abuse alcohol. The reason being is it can be exhausting having ADHD and at times we are desperate for respite. So the obvious solution is to get your daughter onto ADHD medication, because now she’s experienced relief it will be hard to convince her that’s a bad idea. You need to giver her a better option and alcohol isn’t a particularly effective option, in fact it will make it worse in the long term.

If she’s passing out with alcholo sounds like she’s hitting it hard and desperate for relief so in addition to medication you might want to consider all the other things, therapy, yoga, exercise etc… Word to the wise, by far the most effective substance other than NHS medication, is cannabis. Studies show it’s effective at helping anxiety and hyperactivity, but you want her to avoid that until shes 21 as it’s main danger is on the developing brain – i.e. under 21. You’ll lose credibility trying to pretend that doesn’t help, so get her on medication before she discovers it.

My Son went through this, so we basically agreed he could have alcohol at home if he tried medication. Worked well. His friends were taking cannabis (allegedly) so we agreed he could have 2 cans of cider now and then if he avoided cannabis until he’s 21 (hoping he will have gone of the idea by then). Kids will experiment so it might as well be under your roof and with the right information. You’ll lose credibility saying it’s all bad, so I’d research the effects of alcohol on ADHD and share the information with your daughter, and maybe show her the research on medication, that might head her off before trying harder things. Personally I find alcohol a waist of time, she will find medication way better. I hope that helps. You say she’s manipulative so you’ll have to negotiate. The good news is our son hasn’t pick up a drinking habbit. He’s now 18 and like me, isn’t bothered with alcohol. Best of luck.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Kerplunk.