Reply To: My life long story with ADD

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults ADHD Success Stories My life long story with ADD Reply To: My life long story with ADD

hewart
Participant

Ok my little brother or sister, here are some things to consider. In regard to being impulsive, keep in mind that there are other things that will cause that. For example, for the guys, testosterone. The more your body makes the worse it gets. The older you get the less it makes and that is when it all makes sense. Simply understanding what can cause a problem can be a big help in controlling it. In your case, you might want look for a way to direct your impulses into a positive thing. You sound like you know when this is going on. Try to reverse direction from watching movies to doing some light exercise for a few minutes. Don’t forget to turn off the TV before you start. Refocus on what you need to do and see if that puts you back on track. With ADD, those little people in your head get bored very easily. They will focus on some of the most weirdest things. They might see a colorful leaf on the ground and try to focus on it while you are in the middle of a conversation. The end result is neither gets done well. Don’t get upset, just blame it on the little people. I do, and get over it. The only way to deal with them is to lead them astray by forcing them to do something stupid. Once you stop laughing, keep your eyes on your subject and finish the conversation. It took me a long time to figure that out because I was a lot older before I realized I even had a problem. Oh, and one more thing. Don’t tell people you have little people living in your head. They might think you are crazy. I can get away with it because I am old and don’t care what other people think.

Hope this helps.