Reply To: ADHD child and cell phone use

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Behavior & Discipline ADHD child and cell phone use Reply To: ADHD child and cell phone use

phoenixstar
Participant

You have my sympathy. I know how frustrating this is. My 13 year old son cannot keep off his phone either. After his time on his computer playing Minecraft or whatever he will immediately go onto his phone. I end up so angry about him constantly using it when I have asked him not to that I decided it’s better for everyone if I remove it from him. I expect him to comply and be honest with me but the draw of the phone is too much and then I get upset that he has gone against our agreement. I can ask him to put it away and he can literally sneak on it it within seconds. Then other times he goes and forgets that we agreed he would not go back on. It is often because he is so fixated on something e.g. finding out how to do something on Minecraft or some other interest he has at the time. He sneaks it and hides it. Or will ask to send a message or google something but always end up on you tube or a game. I feel so bad treating him like such a baby at his age and taking it off him all the time. I honestly dont know how other children keep possession of their phone unmoderated. If I did that he literally would do nothing else!