Reply To: Why is it so hard to accept my ADD.

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Women & Girls Why is it so hard to accept my ADD. Reply To: Why is it so hard to accept my ADD.

lynneiha
Participant

Being a cashier in a retail store is not, in my opinion, an easy job. Maybe-probably- it is for many neurotypical people.
But for someone who has problems with executive functioning, it can be very trying-just made a lot worse by the anxiety involved when you think you are not measuring up to other people’s expectations.
Having been in that position a lot, I can at least guarantee you that the managers don’t really think you should have it all down yet. They are often obnoxious because they are being pushed from above to push you workers to excel in sales, loyalty percentages etc. I have seen them push even the best cashiers to the point of tears, always demanding “more” from them.

I worked in book sales for nearly ten years. The only way I survived was my book knowledge was so thorough, and I was very good with people one to one, so I maneuvered my way into being primarily a “walking the floor” customer service person. After seeing how stressed I got working a register, management tended to only use me for that as their “last ditch” effort. Thank goodness as I never would have been able to keep my job otherwise!
You might consider if there are any other positions in the store that really might be better for you if cashiering isn’t your thing. Like, I always considered stocking as an alternate job I might be okay at. My nephew was diagnosed ADHD as a schoolboy, and now he works overnights stocking as he has university classes online. He’s very shy, so I know he likes it that he doesn’t interact with too many people.

But I don’t mean you should give up already! As Penny said, two days is nothing to get down details at a register…especially since there have been several days since the last day you worked. In a so-called “routine” job like that, you will only get at ease with it as you repeat the cashiering steps over and over, day after day.
Take a few deep breaths right before you start, and until you’ve been there longer, I would say, “don’t try to do things quickly, just try to do them accurately”.
If you can, swallow your pride and let people know you are nervous…it’s your first job.
I would also take advantage of your co-worker’s friendliness. Ask her questions!! There’s no way she can expect you to have it all together yet. Most times when I didn’t ask questions, I would end up regretting that later.

That’s advice for the store, but as for accepting your ADHD, I’d have to say let me know when you can figure that out.
I’m three times your age, and still struggling with that.