Reply To: Switching from stimulant to non-stimulant, anxiety question

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Switching from stimulant to non-stimulant, anxiety question Reply To: Switching from stimulant to non-stimulant, anxiety question

Dr. Eric
Participant

I don’t have first-hand experience, but I have had students that have dealt with the ADHD combo… It really is trial and error.

The general consensus is that stimulants work for 80% of the population per Dr. Ned Hallowell’s podcast.
However, this is based on ADHD alone.
The other consensus is that non-stimulants work, but not as potently as the stimulants.
Hoewever, this is not a bad thing if you don’t respond to stimulants or the side-effects are too much.

Unfortunately, stimulants can potentially not work, or even make worse, anxiety and panic symptoms (especially if you get triggered by elevated pulse, palpitations, etc.)

In fact, I use a strong negative reaction to stimulants as a reminder that I should make sure that I have ruled out the anxiety that looks like ADHD.

When you have both, you need to experiment with your medical provider on your personal balance of managing your therapeutic benefit of the medications with the side-effects/negatives. Unfortunately, there is not magic formula, everybody is unique.