Reply To: 26yo reading psych eval from 15 – feeling hopeless

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Emotions & Shame 26yo reading psych eval from 15 – feeling hopeless Reply To: 26yo reading psych eval from 15 – feeling hopeless

KerryC
Participant

You write like a very articulate intelligent person. You got a BA in psychology and love your job in sales, you’re doing fantastic. In fact you’re making me feel very hopeful for my 14 year old son.

He just got assessed and got similar results. 2%ile in working memory and 5%ile in processing speed. I was horrified initially but feeling far more optimistic now. Like you, he is an intelligent thoughtful person and what will really work in his favour is that he is willing to implement suggestions made to him. For example he’s been doing school work in 20 min blocks the last week to a timer and it’s working really well.

He hasn’t got the ADD diagnosis yet, but psych is referring us to psychiatrist and feels confident that he’ll get that. Has already mentioned medication a few times which initially horrified me too but am feeling more and more positive about it all. thank god we found out, he was diagnosed with dyslexia years ago but has been masking how hard he has been struggling.

I’m so sorry you had such bad treatment with your initial diagnosis. Sounds like you’ve managed very well though in what has been an uphill battle.