Reply To: Would it be helpful for a successful 40YO to be diagnosed with ADHD?!

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Would it be helpful for a successful 40YO to be diagnosed with ADHD?! Reply To: Would it be helpful for a successful 40YO to be diagnosed with ADHD?!

SJ1990
Participant

I was diagnosed this year at age 30. I suspected I had it but I also queried borderline personality disorder. When I was diagnosed I was VERY relieved and even excited. I literally told so many people about it. Like your family members, I am “successful” professionally/academically- yet I still found the diagnosis helpful. I guess it validated a lot of my earlier experiences and explained why I often struggle to feel comfortable in my body. I am not taking any medication and I am not really doing any therapy (I’m a clinical psychologist and find it weird to do formal/structured therapy) but being mindful of the symptoms when they arise has helped me a lot. I sort of enjoy the symptoms sometimes. I have always enjoyed the compliment “you are weird”, have numerous interests, lots of energy, and see the world from a unique perspective. I am not downplaying the impact that ADHD can have. I know first hand that it can be a struggle. But it is also kind of beautiful- in the same way that I often find people with autism to be beautiful 🙂