Reply To: Blood Pressure Prescription for ADHD???

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Blood Pressure Prescription for ADHD??? Reply To: Blood Pressure Prescription for ADHD???

nanadd
Participant

My experience with guanfacine is fresh over the past month. Newly diagnosed at 64 with ADULT ADHD it has been a real eye opener. I have been diagnosed OR self diagnosed with at one time or another agoraphobia, anxiety, panic disorder, bipolar, BPD, Depression, and so on.

I have tried many things and been treating under doctors supervision originally agoraphobia and panic attacks and now my situational anxiety with benzodiazepines for 40 years. I have also been taking Zoloft for 20 years and lamotragine for two years. I am not, especially, during these stressful times interested in this combo as it has helped and I have been taking them a long time. This makes me not a candidate for stimulate medication.

I have a second home in Mexico where I could obtain Ritalin without a prescription. It helped a lot with my biggest problem RSD. Then we all had to come home and have been quarantining and unable to get more from my psychiatrist. She suggest guanfacine. My original reaction was this isn’t going to work. It’s a blood pressure medication FCOL. I have low normal blood pressure how could this benefit me? But without an option for Ritalin I figured I’d give it a go.

I cannot stress how much it has helped me. It is like a light switch has been flipped. Rumination, hyper reactions of rage or withdrawal have abated. I am baseline so much happier, maybe because I’m not beating myself up for being mean. I was sitting watching TV tonight after a busy day with my granddaughters and cooking and I felt a feeling I almost had forgotten what it was. I thought about it and realized it was peace of mind and contentment.

Wish I had known about this sooner. I would recommend trying it to anyone with RSD and anxiety. If you are one of the people it works for YIPPIE. It has a low negative side affect profile for me.

I hope this story encourages people with RSD and anxiety issues related to ADHD to give guanfacine a try.