Reply To: Mess.. admit defeat or keep believing?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Mess.. admit defeat or keep believing? Reply To: Mess.. admit defeat or keep believing?

Yarlan Zey
Participant

You could concentrate first on things that you’re willing to get rid of. That might be things like:

Food that has expired
Worthless packaging (some packaging has value, but most packaging doesn’t)
Clothes and shoes that are worn out or badly damaged

You are creative, so hopefully you can find a way to use that strength to help you in this area.

I just found something I used to follow when tidying up. I’ll copy and paste it:

Kaizen: A Japanese Way to Approach Best Practices

The methods that can help you successfully manage and organize the workplace in kaizen are called “the 5 S’s”, or “good housekeeping,” as referred to by others. They are set in place with the intention to simplify the work environment.

The 5S’s are loosely translated as:

Seiri (Tidiness): Unused and unneeded items are cleared out (this applies to your contact management system, too). Keeping your data organized, refreshed, properly labeled, and backed up are efficient ways for you and your staff to locate data as needed. The benefits of applying Seiri are a safer and tidier environment, less time wasted when searching for items, fewer hazards, less clutter to interfere with productive work space, and additional space from cleared out items. And possibly more brain space, too.

Seiton (Orderliness): “A place for everything, and everything in its place.” Seiton focuses on the need for an orderly workplace to promote workflow.

Seiso (Cleanliness): Indicates the need to keep the workplace clean and neat daily. The key point is that maintaining cleanliness should be part of everyday work—not an occasional activity initiated just when things get too messy.

Seiketsu (Standardization): When the first three are set in place, they are then standardized. Create the rules, and then regulate them. Since it is easy to fall into old habits, this sets easy-to-follow standards and develops structure and conformity.

Shitsuke (Sustenance): This refers to educating and maintaining standards. Once the previous 4S’s have been established, they become the new way to operate. Maintain the system and continue to improve it.