Reply To: What ADHDers can teach neurotypical peers? Or vice versa

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults ADHD Success Stories What ADHDers can teach neurotypical peers? Or vice versa Reply To: What ADHDers can teach neurotypical peers? Or vice versa

Yarlan Zey
Participant
    • Thinking outside the box

• coming up creative solutions to problems

• thinking of new ideas

• questioning things rather than just accepting them if they come from some “authority” (although this can also get us into trouble. It’s both good and bad)

• empathy, not being judgemental (don’t mess with us though)

“outsider” insights into things, open-mindedness

Okay, but you probably want more “concrete” examples. Well, although I generally didn’t achieve much in “formal” academia, especially as time went on, people are often impressed by how I’ve learned so many things on my own. To use a fancy word, I’m an “autodidact”.

Example of a learning strategy of mine (running out of time a little so I’ll resort to copying and pasting something I wrote elsewhere!):

“Some say people with ADHD are interest-based, rather than importance-based. This means that you should focus on how to make things more interesting for you, rather than focusing on how important those things are.

I’ve learned a lot of things in the following way. First perhaps I’ll get hold of a book about a subject. I’ll start reading it. Soon enough I’ll probably get bored. Then maybe I’ll download a few podcasts of people talking about the subject. Then that gets boring. Perhaps I’ll find another book. Then that gets boring, or even annoying lol. Maybe I can find a documentary about the subject. After that, the first book I got hold of has become interesting to me again, and so on.”

I’m just not a very consistent person. On the other hand I have a wide range of interests. A “normal” person is probably much more consistent but also has much narrower interests, and relies on external “importance” rather than internal “interest”.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Yarlan Zey.
  • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Penny Williams.