Reply To: Sister w/ ADHD, I'm out of patience and she thinks I'm selfish

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Relationships Sister w/ ADHD, I'm out of patience and she thinks I'm selfish Reply To: Sister w/ ADHD, I'm out of patience and she thinks I'm selfish

Penny Williams
Keymaster

The key is to not do things for people with ADHD, but help them find ways to succeed on their own. For instance, she says she has no concept of time when getting ready. She could try a TimeTimer that has a colored disc that disappears with the passage of time. Or you could help her set a series of alarms on her phone with how much time she should spend on each task. Or, an app like Routinery might be useful for this (this one was recommended by someone with ADHD in this forum). There are many more ideas in the following article too:

41 Time Hacks Used by ADHD Ninjas (aka Our Favorite Experts)

She’s telling you that she can’t meet your expectations and manage time on her own. So what can you help her set up so she can?

And it really sounds like you don’t want to be involved in this, so maybe a therapist with a coach approach or an ADHD coach would be a good idea.

The 7 Most Essential Benefits of ADHD Coaching

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism