Reply To: Anyone Else Hate Non-ADHD Related Doctor Visits?

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Health & Nutrition Anyone Else Hate Non-ADHD Related Doctor Visits? Reply To: Anyone Else Hate Non-ADHD Related Doctor Visits?

marika4057
Participant

I’m afraid I have to agree with ryoto above. I haven’t even told my doctor that another one diagnosed me with ADD. I do take Welbutrin, but they just assume that’s for depression. Maybe that’s why many of them are so dismissive of any of my concerns (that they already consider me a “head case” because I’m depressed.) I’m in the process of finding someone to evaluate my ADD for an appropriate second med, as Welbutrin is a help, but not enough. I didn’t even think about how my regular doctor’s attitude towards me might change once a med that is clearly for ADD starts showing up on my list of medications. He already dismissed my earlier diagnosis, again, by a different dr., of having hypoglycemia by saying, “Very few people actually have that.” That was bad enough.

I guess I’m saying, yes, I do dread seeing any doctor, actually. I’m retired and over retirement age and I’ve been thinking it is mostly that I’m an “old, hysterical woman” in their eyes that they are so dismissive of any of my concerns. But I do remember going thru this when I was in my 20s too and pregnant. I’d bring up a concern, b/c something I read said to talk to my dr. about it and I’d always hear, “That’s normal” back. So maybe our diagnosis (& a few others) does have a lot to do with that dismissive attitude.

And definitely, you do have to be your own advocate. I’ve finally found a dr. that doesn’t dismiss the majority of what I say, but he still was the one who told me I couldn’t have hypoglycemia b/c very few people have it!

Good luck in finding one that does listen. They do exist.