Reply To: Congratulations, you've been diagnosed! Now what??

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Symptoms, Diagnosis & Beyond Congratulations, you've been diagnosed! Now what?? Reply To: Congratulations, you've been diagnosed! Now what??

kokobop
Participant

Hi! I don’t know how I even stumbled onto this post, because I was trying to search for a specific article but the darn phone led me here!

I was diagnosed in May this year and got my Ritalin a month after. I’ve started to ask myself the same question: “What do I do now?” and I’ve been thinking that maybe I should find some professional to talk to as well.

Maybe it’s because I’m a woman, or it’s something else, but I don’t struggle as much as you with the “Who am I?” question. I have fortunately already realised who I am, so for me getting a diagnosis was just the answer to the question: “Why am I like this? Why am I different than everyone else?”.

Like you, I have struggled with feeling confident and feeling like I’m worth something. Now I know it’s just the ADHD haunting my mind, and that I DO have some worth and talents worth recognising.

Reading about ADHD and what it means on sites like this and other medical websites have given me a lot of answers to why I am who I am. But the question still remains: “What do I do now?”

The meds help me focus and concentrate, but they will never take away other struggles I face because of the ADHD. I still need help with getting things started, and doing stuff I don’t want to do, but have to do. For example chores…

That is why I feel like I need another professional to talk with than just the doc who prescribes my meds.

If you struggle with self worth I suggest you seek out some type of therapist or similar to talk to. But talking with other people with ADHD might help you on your journey as well!

I don’t know if my comment will help you in any way, but I wish you the best and I hope you will find some answers!

Thanks for your patience while reading this! 😉