Reply To: New here, at the end of my rope

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Spouses & Loved Ones New here, at the end of my rope Reply To: New here, at the end of my rope

saltwatergirl
Participant

Thanks, ADD Mum — prayers are most welcome!

Things have settled down somewhat, fortunately, but we’re definitely not out of the woods yet. He’s still refusing to see a psychiatrist, but we are lucky in that there is an internist who specializes in ADD (and has it herself) that he likes and trusts. She’s just put him on lamotrigine, and he’s already taking an antidepressant.

In the event, I ended up going to the doc with my mother in law; he stayed home. His mom asked me to go, I think mainly because he’s been angry and domineering and she didn’t want to have to worry about his behavior while meeting her new doctor. Due to covid, only one of us was allowed in the room. He was angry at first, and said he would drive us there and be present via Facetime (video), but he came around to seeing it as intended — taking a responsibility off his plate that he didn’t really want in the first place.

I’m biding my time unti he’s a bit calmer to ask (again) about a psychiatrist. Actually, maybe I’ll just wait until the next internist appointment next week and let her ask about it. She’s been clear about wanting him to see a psychiatrist given his complex history and somewhat unusual response to certain medications — and I think it would be better coming from her than me.

We live near the ocean and I have been swimming as much as possible. The cold water, and being well and truly AWAY while I’m swimming, has been a lifesaver.

Thanks for your advice and support! I’ll try some of your suggestions. I hope you are doing well.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by saltwatergirl.