Reply To: Gulp! Recently Unemployed – Weighing Options (with Concern)

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Gulp! Recently Unemployed – Weighing Options (with Concern) Reply To: Gulp! Recently Unemployed – Weighing Options (with Concern)

BrendaB
Participant

Hi, I’ve been dealing with ADD all my life and wasn’t diagnosed until a few years ago when I just couldn’t take it anymore and went to an anxiety clinic. (The ADD had caused many lost jobs and there fore low, or no income+ anxiety, depression and stress).
The psychologist who discussed my diagnosis, stated that the U.S. Federal Government has a requirement to hire people with disabilities – Schedule A). Also, if you are receiving unemployment, you are usually assisted by that entity paying for you to take a course or obtain certification. Usually to enhance skills in your current field. But if you want to switch careers, you could make a case for it given your disability and the current pandemic. By the way, I’m 50 and looking for a job as well.

I see the previous response from the ADD staff above. I did not know you should not disclose. ALL job applications now ask if you are a protected veteran or have a disability? Should we not state that on the application? And if the answer is no- and we need accommodations later, while on the job, wouldn’t that come back to bite us? Or be grounds for termination because we were not honest on the application?