Reply To: Confused About Giving My 14 yr. Old Meds

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Parents Treating Your Child Confused About Giving My 14 yr. Old Meds Reply To: Confused About Giving My 14 yr. Old Meds

Penny Williams
Keymaster

There are many other stimulant medications you can try. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.Many people say they feel amphetamines are “stronger” than methylphenidate, so maybe he’d have less side effects on a methylphenidate, or even a different amphetamine.

Also, try to move from you reminding him to strategies and tools where he can succeed on his own. Checklists, routine reminders, apps, etc can be put in place to be the reminders and consistent support and allow you to step back to more of a scaffolding role instead of being his executive functioning all the time.

5 Critical Life Skills That Build Independence & Confidence

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism