Reply To: Advice please! Newly Diagnosed UK woman with ADHD – Elvanse 20mg

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD Advice please! Newly Diagnosed UK woman with ADHD – Elvanse 20mg Reply To: Advice please! Newly Diagnosed UK woman with ADHD – Elvanse 20mg

Neilc
Participant

I’ll tell you the truth about Elvanse ( I registered especially to reply to your post ! , Lucky you ). Don’t worry , it’s not a negative .I’ll give you a specific example of my situation , I’ve taken 4 weeks off work to do some DIY on my house. I have been on 50 mg for 4 years , I finished work on a Friday and thought I’d have the first weekend doing nothing ,then thought I’d have the first week doing nothing …. You get where this was going , until I took my medication .if you don’t take your medication you will stay in bed thinking about all the things you should be doing whilst going on eBay and watching YouTube videos about cats , or UFOs or anything .
I was diagnosed when I was 40 , the weird thing is I was often distracted before then , and a bit tired but I now find that if I don’t take my medication im exhausted and to be honest a bit depressed, although the medication sorts this out ( which is a bit sad if you think about it ). What I find with the medication ( a higher dosage than yourself ) is that when it kicks in I want to start doing everything all at once and (re DIY) forget that I don’t require all the relevant skills to do everything ( no superpowers ) . Also don’t forget that this medication is taking you up to the level of a person without ADHD, not beyond.

I wish you all the best , as I say I’ve been on it for over 4 years , I don’t know where I will be in 20 years because I’m sure it says on the paperwork it should only be taken for 6 months . I mentioned this to my Dr , she said that’s for her to worry about .

One final thing , just a bit of warning in advance , when you describe your symptoms to friends , family members ( short temper , tiredness) , they will say ” I think I’ve got that ”

It’s Annoying

Good luck , Elvanse works .

Neil 45 3/4 years

(Just out of bed )