Reply To: Getting a lot done with meds but feeling guilty

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Getting a lot done with meds but feeling guilty Reply To: Getting a lot done with meds but feeling guilty

HisMom
Participant

Unless the voices you hear are singing to the tune of an individual with ADD/ADHD, just let it roll off your back. Trust. Me! It used to be that people would say things to me like, “I’m jealous! You have the ‘good meds’, and I just wanted to yell “Give me your normal brain that you insist on damaging!”
Just remember, YOU have to live your life the best you can, right? Why should you have to live it feeling guilty for 1) something you can’t control that short circuits your thought process on a regular and 2) because of other people’s opinion (I figure the majority of the guilt we feel is from two things. First, we aren’t used to the actual day to day living of the non-scatterbrained, so we walk around sort of waiting to get smacked in the back of the head by someone who says, “SEE? I knew all along there was nothing wrong with you!” and the other is because we’ve heard time and time and time again that speed is bad! It’s just horrible and no good can come from it and all that. At least those were my feelings when I first started taking meds.
I’m not taking any now and I sometimes sit down at the kitchen table and cry because I can NOT remember what it is I forgot! Plus, my depression meds just … quit working and what I’m taking now works on the incredible anger I feel occasionally, but not so much on the depression and DEFINITELY not the anxiety 🙁