Reply To: Getting a lot done with meds but feeling guilty

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Getting Things Done Getting a lot done with meds but feeling guilty Reply To: Getting a lot done with meds but feeling guilty

Oscar R
Participant

I totally get what you’re saying. I refused meds and Evan treatment for years because of this, no matter how many times people gave me the Insulin diabetic comparison! But what I now realize is that even on the meds, people with ADHD are still at a disadvantage. Evan with Meds people with ADHD still usually have defiances in neurotransmitters and even if we didn’t, neurotypical people spend their whole lives learning how to succeed with their brains, we with ADHD are expected to reach that same level as soon as we start the meds even though we lack the years of experience, AND EVAN THEN!, on meds were always on the clock for when we are productive and when the meds wear off and we are left with the after-effects (in my case nausea, migraines, and akashinaly… let’s say… digestive complications).

Meds don’t give us an advantage, they give us a fighting chance.

For me, ADHD without meds is like trying to outrace a car on foot, on meds it’s like trying to outrace a car on a bike, hard but now possible!