Reply To: New to the world of ADHD Medication

Home Welcome to the ADDitude Forums For Adults Treating Your ADHD New to the world of ADHD Medication Reply To: New to the world of ADHD Medication

Penny Williams
Keymaster

You need to start at the lowest possible dose and increase only if and when needed. If you don’t have a good experience with Vyvanse, then you try something else. ADHD medication effectiveness is very individualized because it depends on the individual’s metabolism, genetics, and neurotransmitter function. There are two types of stimulants: amphetamine (Adderall, Vyvanse, Evekeo…) and methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta, Quillivant…). Almost everyone does well on one type or the other, but not both.

A Patient’s Primer on the Stimulant Medications Used to Treat ADHD

Some people are more susceptible to to additional stimulating products than others. I would go a few days without caffeine and alcohol and then add in one in small quantities and increase a bit to test where the limit is when it’s too much with the medication. I don’t think chocolate has enough caffeine in it to be a problem, but I could be wrong.

The anxiety around new medications is probably the hardest part you’ll have to deal with. Do whatever you can not to hyperfocus on how you’re physically feeling every moment of the first couple days. That anxiety can trigger symptoms that will look like you can’t tolerate the medication, when it’s really your worry brain and false alarms. OF COURSE, if you’re having serious side effects, talk to your doctor right away about discontinuing or changing the med.

Penny
ADDitude Community Moderator, Parenting ADHD Coach, Podcaster & Author, Mom to teen w/ ADHD, LDs, and autism